The bad news about Borders calling in the receivers has cast a shadow over the bookselling world.
It's Christmas time and I'll bet the temptation to buy all your presents from Amazon is huge.
Well here's the thing: the culture of READING is under threat.
Libraries are closing. Amazon has become all powerful. And with only a few big players left in the bookselling market - Waterstones and the supermarkets - our reading culture which is enriched by diversity and choice is under threat.
Liz Hoggard in an Independent article called on readers to support local independents this Christmas.
In the New Year, the UK Booksellers Association will be launching an Indiebound campaign based on a successful Indiebound campaign in the United States.
I think we authors and illustrators can also help raise awareness for Indie booksellers.
So here's a blog challenge for Christmas:
I have created a website called Bookshop Love on which I hope to feature independent bookstores up and down the country.
My challenge to you is to write short features about your local indie bookseller.
Post it on your blog or website and I will cross-post it on the blog! Send me your links on mumatwork AT blueyonder.co.uk (don't forget to change the AT to @!
It's not difficult - here's how to do it if you don't feel like marching up there and demanding an interview
- Google your chosen bookstore and get hold of their email address.
- Email them with the following message: I am participating in a blog challenge designed to support local independent bookstores and I have chosen you as the bookshop I would like to feature on my blog. I would be very grateful if you would reply to these questions and perhaps send me some photographs of your shop.
- You can ask what you want - but do cover the following bases:
1. Please give me a brief bio of your shop
2. Tell us about your clientele
3.Can you recommend five children's titles (we're children's book people after all)
And don't forget to ask for pictures! Of the shop or of a window display!
- Post it on your blog or website.
- THEN send me a link and a short bio about YOU. I will cross post the article on Bookshop Love, ending with a short profile about the author (you ... so there's somethign in it for you too)!
Please join this challenge.
WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE AND SO MUCH (AS AUTHORS) TO GAIN!(and do forward this challenge to an author near you!)
Thank you in advance,